Fit, Fit, Fit, Fit, Fun!

I recently attended a small workshop with the lovely, vibrant fitness expert, Sonni Tallant. Although she shared a number of tips with us–including how to change our emotional state on the count of three–the one that has really stuck for me is the “fit-fit-fit-fit-fun!” nutrition guideline.

Just in case it’s not obvious, the “fits” and the “fun” refer to the quality of the food that you need to eat in order to maximize health (including weight loss if you’re heavy and weight maintenance if you’re not). According to her model, 80% of what you eat should be good for you (or fit foods), whereas the other 20% should be fun. Fun, of course, is a matter of taste.

This approach to eating seems a little more forgivable and sustainable than programs that cut all of one thing (say fat) or all of another thing (say carbs).

It’s also easy to remember: fit, fit, fit, fit, fun!

80% fit (which includes fruits, vegetables, whole grains, etc.) and 20% fun (which can include steak, fish, an ice cream sundae, or, if you’re lucky, more fruit, vegetables and whole grains). I happen to think most fruits are heavenly, but, then again, I also happen love brussels sprouts!

Anyway, give it a try. All you need to remember are the proper proportions (fit, fit, fit, fit, fun) and have more than a passing awareness of what you’re putting in your mouth!

Advertisements

No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: